Religious Liberty Summit 2023
Notre Dame Religious Liberty Summit | London | July 11-13
Protecting Religious Liberty in a Rapidly Evolving Society
As it has in years past, the third annual invite-only Notre Dame Religious Liberty Summit convened the world’s leading defenders of religious liberty. The summit stimulated engaging conversations between scholars, advocates, practitioners, and religious leaders about the future of religious liberty in the United States and around the world.
Much like the city of London, our host for the 2023 Notre Dame Religious Liberty Summit, our theme of Protecting Religious Liberty in a Rapidly Evolving Society married the old and the new; the traditional and the forward-looking. On that theme, this year’s summit addressed a wide variety of pressing issues related to freedom of religion or belief, from both an ecumenical perspective and within an academic paradigm. Featured topics included:
- Justifications and Challenges for Treating Religion as Special;
- Social Media and Other Non-State Actors: Challenges and Opportunities for Religious Expression;
- Challenges and Opportunities for Religious Liberty in the Corporate Space;
- Keynote with Professor Nazila Ghanea, Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief with the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Religious Responses to the Rise of Autocracy; and
- The Rise of Persecution Against Religious Minorities.
This year the Notre Dame Prize for Religious Liberty was awarded to Lord David Alton of Liverpool, a member of the House of Lords of the United Kingdom, in recognition of his outstanding service preserving religious liberty around the world. The prize was awarded at the summit’s culminating event, the gala and award dinner at the Merchant Taylors’ Hall.
A full article about the gala and award dinner is published here.
Watch a video about Lord Alton’s life and outstanding career below. The video was played at the gala and award dinner on Thursday, July 13th.
Click below to read the daily recaps from the 2023 Notre Dame Religious Liberty Summit.
Questions about our Summit? Reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with the Notre Dame Law School Religious Liberty Initiative
Submit the form below to receive updates about our filings, events, and other news.